Friday, February 22, 2008

Sitting with Women...

We spend a good deal of time in the car on this trip, because as it turns out, at least compared to the New England terrain I grew up in, this state of Texas is a BIG place. To keep us occupied, to keep us grounded, we found ourselves a copy of Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire and we're reading it out loud to each other as we take turns driving, and driving, and driving to the next destination, the next community of women who are waiting to welcome us in and connect us to more.

As we were driving along through Big Bend National Park (after spending a night on our way from the Presidio border area to the Texas Hill Country), we read:

"If I had been as capable of trust as I am susceptible to fear I might have learned something new, or some truth so very old we have all forgotten it."

This trip is most assuredly about remembering a truth so very old many of us have forgotten it. The women we are sitting with seem somehow to have remembered, or perhaps they never forgot. I am so thankful to these women. I am spending these days in prayer that we listen to them as if our lives depended on our doing so...

No comments: